Thursday, July 9, 2009

Goodbye Guangzhou

No pics today. We spent the day getting ready to leave, buying a few last souvenirs, and then we went to the US Consulate to get our final papers and take the Oath. No electronics are allowed in the Consulate, so we don't have any photos to commemorate the event. Basically, we take an oath saying we didn't lie about anything in our adoption paperwork. They gave us back the Chinese passport with the US Visa, and also the famous "brown packet". We are NOT to open the brown packet. It is for Immigration & Customs when we land in Newark. Unfortunately, Ke Xin (and Justin) have large brown envelopes stapled to their passports. This makes it very clumsy to carry the passport. They contain their health reports because of their positive TB skin tests. We also have to carry their chest x-rays in our carry-on luggage! Mine is rolled up, so I hope it's not damaged. The x-rays are quite large, so I wasn't happy to hear I had to carry it. What is an Immigration official going to do with a chest x-ray???????? ("Yes, I'm an Immigration office, but I was also top of my class at Harvard med...")
We had Pappa John's tonight. We're off to Hong Kong tomorrow. Bags have to be outside the door at 5am! Ugh! I think we're all packed, though. I'm putting the kids to bed in their outfits for tomorrow. We've weighed the bags and I think we're under the limit.
I probably won't be posting again until we get home. 48 hours to Atlanta!!!!!!!!! 48 hours to hugging my man!!!!!!!! I know Debbi just wants to get away from us and I can't blame her.
Goodbye China! (Well, after we get out of Hong Kong...)

1 comment: