Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Foster Care?

We were hoping for some updated photos and news of Ke Xin (Brooke) today. A family from Milwaukee picked up their son Monday and were allowed to visit the orphanage today. But they were told that Ke Xin has been moved to foster care along with a little boy. They were also told she is doing better in foster care than she was at the orphanage. Well, that's certainly good news. Maybe she'll put on more weight and catch up some developmentally. We don't expect another update from the orphanage until the end of March. Nothing about outside foster care was mentioned in the December update.

Meanwhile, we are starting to get ready for travel. I'm painting the house and made great progress yesterday since Mark was home to entertain Olivia. Debbi is ready to apply for her passport. I need to start making and re-making endless lists about what to do before we go. Olivia is carefree and has no idea what an adventure she's going to be experiencing. That's just as good. She is such a good kid. I think she'll really have fun in China after we get done with the 17 hour plane ride. She's really looking forward to having a little sister. She keeps trying to shop for clothes for her, but I have to stop her since we have no idea what size Brooke will be when we get her.
Here is a picture of Olivia (and us) from her school sock-hop. What an expression! There's another picture from that event that I have to post, but I can't due to technical difficulties. I'll get it done eventually. She made me laugh several times today. At one point we were having hot cocoa and a few Hershey kisses. She'd finished her's and looked at me sweetly, saying "I wish I had another Kiss..." I had one in my hand. She then tipped her head and said in a very syrupy voice, "I like you...." while popping her eyebrows up and down and gazing at my Kiss. Needless to say, she got the last Kiss. But then we both laughed about it. Her father has worked very hard developing her sense of humor. He has done well. We had our first ethical debate yesterday when she declared she was willing to give up one of her oldest, most-favorite stuffed companions in order to get a flashy new one. We both tried to explain that you never turn your back on an old, true friend for something (or someone) new. I don't think we really got through to her, but she'll understand better later. She got so mad at me that she declared she wanted a "new mommy". Tough. She's stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment